Popular Posts

Sunday, June 24, 2012

our government and the new tax on musical instruments

Two weeks ago our government decided to impose a new tax on musical instruments along with many other products, and to raise the tax on some other products too, the annoying thing is that they decided that music is a luxurious thing, and that it's not for everyone.

several days ago a member of the parliament decided to comment on the subject, and I was a bit mad about the tax until I heard him, then I was angry and disappointed, the genius man said "is a guy from Mafraq going to buy a maestro to play on?" , well, where should I start?? should i start with that a guy from Mafraq is not any different from a guy from Amman? or should I start from explaining that a maestro is not an instrument??, perhaps I should start by thanking every person that elected this man to speak in our names!!!


As a musician and a music teacher I would like to tell this parliament that music is something every child should have in their life, Jordan has developed a rate in crimes that we've never seen before and I think it's time we take arts seriously in this country! it's not a free class, it's not Haram, and it's not Aib...it's essential if we want a healthy society in this country.


Shakespeare once said The man that hath no music in himself, Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems and spoils. الشخص الذي لا تملأ الموسيقى وجدانه لهو شخص غير جدير بالثقة well I guess we will have a whole generation that's not trustworthy if we keep on doing what we're doing now.

Taxes on instruments, cutting funds for art centers and orchestras will surely drive us into a dark hopeless future, and I pray that when this happens I'll be long gone! I hate to see the little progress we've made going to waste! I hate waste!

No comments:

Post a Comment